Wednesday 30 December 2015

Solomon Dalong: Minister warns factional NFF President, Giwa


Nigeria Football Federation is boiling up for another crisis, as Chris Giwa is spoiling for action to reclaim the leadership of the nation’s soccer ruling body come January 2016.
But he has been warned by Youth and Sports minister, Solomon Dalung not to foment trouble that could upset the smooth running of football as the country prepares for major tournaments in 2016.
Giwa, is still insisting that he is the elected president of the NFF and has submitted a petition to the Sports minister to that effect.
“It has come to my knowledge once again, that anarchy is being adopted as a method for addressing grievances in the Nigeria Football Federation. As a peacemaker and also a Minister of Youth and Sports, I will always implore Nigerians to apply dialogue and consensus in resolving crisis. My posture should not be taken as weakness but as a way of promoting peace among people. I have reiterated this severally that I am not taking sides in the NFF crisis but will always stand for due process”.
Barrister Dalung urged the aggrieved parties who have already presented their petitions to wait for a decision to be taken on the matter.
“If there are grievances, which have already been brought before me by both parties, I should be allowed to look into them and take a decision. Chris Giwa and his group should not take the petition brought to my table as a license for anarchy. I will not endorse that today. I will not endorse that tomorrow and I will not endorse that forever.
“Therefore, I urge all warring factions to remain calm and peaceful so that we will not destroy the image and progress built so far in our football.
While wishing Nigerians a prosperous New Year and a hopeful outing at the Olympics, I charge all stakeholders to be more responsible and patriotic in their deeds. God bless Nigeria.”
It will be recalled that Chris Giwa dropped his claim to the seat of the President of the Nigeria Football Federation for Nigeria to escape the dreaded FIFA ban by the deadline of Monday September 8, 2014. Fourteen months after, the Giwa faction renewed its claim to the leadership of the NFF and is threatening to take over the Federation in the New Year.

No comments: